Monday, January 24, 2011

(freshman dorm romance)

Miss January of the Swimsuit Calendar, circa 2002,
I am but a poor man,
with little wants
and little to give.
True, I am an
astronaut, but
I’ve never been to
space. But I have danced
Oh I have danced
among the stars
and the planets.
I have glowed with the
light from the sun.
I have stared down
at the world below
 in the middle of the
night and seen lights,
lights so simple
and so very many
that it would take your
breath away forever.
I have seen all
those things but
I have no one to share
all my joys with.
I have seen you
posed so gracefully
and still for so long.
I know that we are
kindred souls.
So, when you tire of
being ogled by freshman
boys and you are ready
for a real man.
Someone who cares
about you, soul and body,
I am right here.
Right where I’ve always been.
Come stand by my side
and we will make
the universe sing
like never before,
or I’m not the
Glow-in-the-dark Astronaut above Billy’s bed.

2 comments:

  1. I like it. Esp. the first part, about being an astronaut and having stared down at the world. It's playful, but communicates a sense of alienation

    ReplyDelete